Your website will only rank in Google if you follow tried and tested SEO techniques.
There are so many search engine optimization best practices out there, and the most common advice is to use keywords.
But what if you have done your part and still you are not ranking?
What can you do to improve your performance in the Google universe?
Today, I will share with you some of the best SEO techniques to explore to help you rank.
By the end of this tutorial, you should start crafting a plan on how to execute these techniques.
Do them consistently, and you will find yourself rewarded with high-ranking pages.
Backlinking is a two-way process that involves inbound links to your site from another website.
These links are provided by website owners.
These links are responsible for leading the traffic from other sites to yours.
Earning backlinks, however, is not easy work.
There is a process called link-building that you have to do.
Here are some link building methods that you can start doing today:
Broken Link Strategy
There are instances where a particular link in a website does not work anymore.
This happens if the destination page is no longer in publication.
Most of the time, the website owner does not know that the page he is linking to is already gone.
You have to find these links because these are opportunities for you to tell the owner to link to you.
Specifically, this is how the strategy works:
- Find 404 links in relevant sites – do this by using tools that check for broken links such as Dr Link Check. If you type the domain of a site where you want to get a backlink, it will show if it has broken links.
- Contact the website owner – once you have sorted out which websites have broken links, you can contact the website owner. Tell him that his outbound link is broken, and it can affect his user-experience.
- Suggest your link as a replacement – open up the topic about replacing the broken link with a working one. Help them by providing high-quality links that can be an alternative, including yours.
This does not fully guarantee a backlink. Some owners may not choose your link.
But it’s still worth a try because all it takes to improve your page’s power is just one link.
Another strategy that you can do is guest blogging.
This involves writing and publishing articles on websites other than yours.
Here are ways on how you can do guest blogging:
- Lookup for sites looking for content contributors – you can search for a website that is similar to yours but is not a competitor. For example, if your blog is about car repair, you can find a blog about car batteries. Reach out to the blog owner if they are looking for a guest post.
- Check where other bloggers guest write – monitor other bloggers in your niche, and try to find out where they publish a guest blog. Try to ask if the site still offers contributions from others and take your shot.
It is recommended that you write for sites with a traffic count of either the same or higher than yours to ensure a wider audience reach.
- Market Your Content – you need to get your brand and your content out there. You can promote them through the following:
- Personally reaching out to website owners
- Writing product/service reviews
- Contacting journalists
Backlinking is an essential SEO strategy.
A backlink from one website to yours is an upvote from the internet community. It tells Google that your content can be trusted.
Apart from the techniques mentioned earlier, you can also join clubs and organizations where you can swap backlinks for free, such as Backlink Society.
Here, you can register and communicate with members to swap backlinks without having to write a guest post.
The Skyscraper Technique is a strategy created by Brian Dean, an SEO guru.
This means creating content that is better than the existing ones from your competitors.
What it entails is that you read the content at the top of the search engine result pages (SERPs), and then you make something that is better.
This is somehow related to the backlinking method in the sense that it involves links in one of its steps.
Specifically, below is the process towards an efficient skyscraper technique:
- Look up for content that contains a number of backlinks
For the first step, you need to find content that meets the following requirements:
- Related to your niche – the article that you use must revolve around the topic that you want to write about.
- Contains a lot of backlinks – it should also have a number of backlinks, so you have more resources along the way.
The legitimacy of the content you will be referring to is very important to take into consideration.
This will help you avoid running into issues later on.
- Create better content out of the reference.
The main goal of this technique is to make the best content out there.
According to Dean, there are four aspects that you need to consider in generating new content:
- Length – more often than not, adding more details to an article can optimize the page. For example, if your reference only has ten examples, make yours 20 or 30, or even longer as it adds more value.
- Freshness – double-check the reference content, along with the links provided, for information that are in need of updating. Replace out-of-date details with up-to-date ones.
- Depth – do not just put details for the sake of it. Include call-to-action lines to provide more sense in the content you are creating.
- Design – aside from what is written, how the website looks to the reader is also significant. Make it visually optimized so they will be comfortable in reading the content.
If you make better content, people are more likely to read it, spend time on it, and share it.
Google will eventually see that yours is better and will give your pages better rankings.
Content Optimization is a technique that is done to establish a website’s visibility.
You also do this to rank high in search engines.
This involves making improvements in the site’s content and performance.
Some ways on how to optimize your content are as follows:
- Write High-Quality Content
Again, the most important thing is to create content that will be considered valuable to your readers.
Make sure that it is:
High-quality content refers to articles that are accurate, in-depth, straight to the point, and helpful.
In the end, your article must not have fluff. It has to offer knowledge.
- Frequently Publish New Content
Google likes websites that publish regularly.
There is no science behind this as to how many you should publish. What matters is that you stick to a schedule.
At most, you can publish content once a day, which is if you have good contents to offer, and at the very least, you should publish once a week.
Publishing daily is a difficult task.
Once a week is much more reasonable If you can do it three times a week, then all the better.
You may need to outsource your content production to an affordable copywriter who knows SEO.
You can write one and then outsource the two, so you have a steady stream of content on a weekly basis.
- Optimize Keywords in Text Elements
You should also incorporate the right terms to use for textual elements like title tags, meta tags, keywords, headings, and subheading.
These are not all, but some of the most important elements that build up a website.
You can search for the right keywords to use by using services like Google Trends and Google AdWords.
- Optimize Media Attachments
Media attachments refer to videos, images, animations, infographics, and the likes.
These should make your website look visually appealing.
However, it may be the other way around if not used properly.
Use relevant and eye-catching visuals that will add to your website’s design.
Do not use too many as it may make your website feel overwhelming.
Also, do not forget to use the right ALT text for your media files.
- Follow the Standards in Content Creation
Search engines, like Google, have a very strict policy when it comes to regulating contents.
Specifically, they don’t recommend publishing content with profane and illegal contents such as adult and illegal products.
The priority of content optimization is to appeal to search engines. Avoid content that incites hate, violence, etc.
Internal linking is the process of linking from one of your web pages to another of your webpage.
This essentially tells search engines to crawl other parts of your website.
This also leads your user from one page of your website to another, making them stay longer.
Here is how you can effectively practice internal linking:
- Map Out Your Website Pages
Internal linking directs one page to another.
The process can get confusing if you don’t understand the hierarchy of your pages.
Arrange them according to categories and how major it is.
Usually, the website’s homepage comes first, next comes the categories, then the main pages.
- Use Anchor Texts
Anchor texts are the highlighted texts in an article.
These are the clickable links that redirect visitors to the designated pages.
This can be optimized by using high-value or trending keywords.
This can also increase a website’s visibility.
- Avoid Using Automated Services
Services that offer internal linking is not as effective as manually creating your content and organizing the links.
This is because their service does not understand which pages should be optimized and which are enough.
Another thing is the high possibility of spamming your content with unnecessary anchor texts.
This can be bad for your rank in search engines. This is not to be confused with backlinking.
Internal links happen only within your domain name.
Use Social Media
Social media is not only useful in promotional activities.
This is also helpful in SEO practices as it works well with profile linking.
But how, exactly, can you use social media to level up your SEO game?
- Be Available on Social Media Sites
Social media networks are one of the most used channels online.
Being more socially available means having more potential audience for your content.
This will also make way for profile linking.
In addition, doing this can also enhance your visibility in search queries as more links will lead to your brand.
- Use Social Media for Keyword Research
Social networking sites are not only for connections.
They can also serve as search engines in the sense that you can look for current trends and top queries.
This can help you in looking for high-volume keywords to use for your content.
This does not directly affect your SEO rank, but it does have an impact on the process of optimizing it.
Social media can be an advantage when used for specific purposes like marketing, SEO, and even customer engagement.
Summary: best SEO techniques to explore
There goes our list of the best SEO techniques to explore.
Choose two for now, and then master the technique.
My advice is that you pick a page that has no traffic or a page that is not getting that much impression from Google.
Optimize that content, create backlinks, and then see how it improves in the succeeding months.
If it did improve. Use the same techniques for all other articles.
If not, you need to revisit the techniques and see what you are missing, then optimize it again and again until you get positive results.