The world is abuzz with all things about Shopify.
It has taken the world by storm, and it is easily the number one e-commerce store builder in the world, with over 800,000 online stores on the platform.
That success is due to its aggressive marketing campaign.
Shopify has an affiliate marketing program, and there are thousands of blogs and YouTube channels where the content creators market Shopify.
These affiliate marketers are the ones that preach so many things—that you can make millions in Shopify, that it is easy, and so much more.
But what is a myth, and what is reality? So many people have opened up a Shopify store, and they went bust.
I do not want you to experience the same.
Today, I will share with you the five 5 myths about starting a Shopify store, and this should help you stay grounded.
Myth 1: It is easy to build a Shopify Store
It is easy to put pictures on a Shopify store, but making it look like a professional online store is much harder than you think.
While the platform makes it possible for you to build an online store with little to no knowledge about technicalities, it is still a painful experience to design your store, even after you choose a free or paid theme.
Here are the other difficulties in building a store:
- Payment processor – you need to register for an online payment system before you can integrate it with Shopify. What makes this difficult is that sometimes, a payment processor needs documents to prove that you are a legit business.
- Shipping options – you need to understand how shipping works, and how much you have to pay for different countries. This is a nightmare, as you need to create shipping regions and price them accordingly. If you make a mistake, customers will not be able to order, or they will pay less than your actual shipping costs.
- Your policies – you cannot just copy and paste the policies of other companies. While there are many free templates you can use for free, all of these have to be personalized in such a way that fits your own policies.
- Standard design – one of the many failures of dropshippers is that they often just copy the product images that come from their suppliers. This is bad. Your store will look like a collage of images taken from the internet.
One difficult thing to do is to remove the background of all these images, and then paste them on a standard background or format to make them uniform.
As you can see, an online store has several components, many of which are just part of a larger whole.
You need to have a plan for how you intend to take these pieces and work on them one by one.
The solution to this is to list down everything you need before you start building.
Work on them before you buy a subscription, and this will save you money.
Myth 2: It is cheap to build a Shopify Store
This is another myth that prevails in the world of building online stores.
People always say that all you need is $29 per month.
This is not entirely true. You will spend $29 only for your basic subscription.
While this is enough to launch a store that works, it is not enough to run it or to make it stand above the rest.
Here are some of the expenses of running a Shopify store:
- Advertising – there is no way you can make sales without ads. Even if Facebook ads are cheap, the cost can pile up soon if you do not make sales.
- And to tell you the truth, you are not the only advertiser on Facebook. What happens is that you are competing against a lot of other companies, and your ad spend may not always be enough to yield the results that you expect.
- Store builder – if you are using Shopify, you cannot expect your theme to have the system that you want. What happens is that you can use free or paid Shopify themes, and yet you have to learn how to code to change how they work in the backend.
- The solution to this is a web-builder tool that is made specifically for Shopify. These software programs cost a lot. At a minimum, you have to shell out $99 per month to be able to use them.
- Dropship supplier tool – if you are a dropshipper, you will, later on, find out that the free tools like Oberlo and Spocket are not enough. You will soon want automated platforms like Dropified, which cost a lot of money.
- Blogging – many people who go into the online store business underestimate the power of blogging. What many of them do not realize is that they have to post blogs regularly to help drive free traffic to their store. This is another expense that you have to pay on a monthly basis, even if you find an affordable content writer.
We have not yet included Shopify apps here that you pay for $9 a month.
Examples of these are email marketing apps or apps that allow you to do bundled products.
As you can see, your expenses are going to pile up.
If you think you can build a successful store at only $29, think again.
Myth 3: You can easily make millions in Shopify
No, this is a myth.
It is true that there are companies that made millions in Shopify.
One good example is Kylie Jenner. Her business, Kylie Cosmetics, is built on Shopify.
There are also several entrepreneurs who made millions on Shopify within a year of launching.
But is it easy?
No, it is not easy.
The error that many people make is that whenever they hear a person who makes millions from a platform, they think that they can do it, too.
It is not impossible to make money on Shopify.
But to make millions?
You must have a product and a brand that both resonate with your audience.
If you are just going to get products from AliExpress, do not expect to make millions.
Also, those who have earned millions are experts.
They have had failures in their lives many times over. If you are just a beginner, you will also fail.
This failure is what makes many Shopify store dropshippers quit.
Again, if the expectations are wrong from the start, you are not going to succeed.
My advice is that you stay grounded.
Here are some tips to help you succeed and make money on the Shopify platform:
- Be patient – do not expect your Shopify website to get flooded with orders; you have to wait for some time to get some customers.
- Build a professional store – study the best stores in your niche. Take a look at the elements of their design, and apply them in your store.
- Study your competition – have a list of your competitors. Find out what they are doing, follow their social media pages, and make sure that you also study how they market their products. Learn from them. If they have been in business for a while, they surely are doing something right.
As an entrepreneur, you are competing against tens of thousands of online stores worldwide.
If you want to succeed in this business, you have to stay realistic—always take action to correct your mistakes, and never give up.
Myth 4: It is easy to customize Shopify
A lot of people who sell an online Shopify course say that it is easy to customize a Shopify store.
This is only partially true.
You see, Shopify is like the WordPress of stores.
There are themes that you can choose from, but these themes are pre-built.
Shopify itself does not have a drag-and-drop editor.
You cannot delete and add columns and sections as your heart desires.
If you want to build a Shopify store where you decide how thick the padding is, or if you want to adjust the size of your hero image, you need a Shopify web builder tool.
This is expensive. As I mentioned earlier, it will cost you at least $99 per month.
The other way to customize your store is through editing the code itself. As such, you need to learn how to code, which, of course, is not realistic.
The only option you have is to hire a coder—there are many freelancers that you can hire.
The problem is that their services are also costly.
As such, you are left with only one choice: use the theme as it is.
Editing and customizing your Shopify store is possible, but it is not easy.
Myth 5: It is easy to succeed with Shopify
This is probably the worst perpetrated myth out there.
As you can see, the people who make these claims are those that either want to sell you a course or affiliate marketers of Shopify.
The sad thing is that there are many people who fall for it.
Many people make it seem like it is Shopify that makes you successful.
The truth is that Shopify is nothing more than a platform.
Shopify is a platform where you can build a store without learning how to code.
However, Shopify does not do your ads, it does not market your products, and it certainly does not pay for your marketing efforts.
It is like a car—you can buy one now, but it does not mean you will have a successful transportation business.
Success in building a Shopify store is not different from any other online business.
You need to create a brand, build a store, choose the right products, price the products right, do marketing, and so much more.
The painful thing about a Shopify business is that you are alone.
It is rare for somebody to start a Shopify store with a team of employees.
And because you are alone, you will do all the things to make your store work.
If you are not an expert in making graphic arts for your ad creatives, you either have to learn how to do it or pay someone else.
Succeeding in Shopify is possible.
Many have already done this. But to say that it is easy? It is a myth.
Summary: Myths About Starting a Shopify Store
Building a Shopify store is one of the best things that you can do as far as an online business is concerned.
However, many people fail. One of the reasons they fail is that they had the wrong expectations when they got started.
They thought that it was easy, and then they decided to quit.
They did not understand how e-commerce works.
Do not be misled. From now on, you have to think of a Shopify store as a difficult but profitable business.
Do not think of it as an easy way to earn a lot of money.
If you have the right mindset, you are more likely to succeed.