Is it true that you can earn a living from home?
Yes, it is true. The only thing that matters is how, and what kind of jobs you should choose.
Not all methods of earning online can pay you enough.
As such, I am going to provide you with a list of the seven best work at home jobs in 2020.
By the end of this listicle, I hope that you can choose one or two that will help you jumpstart your career.
Average Salary per month: $5,268
The first in our list of work from home jobs is freelance writing.
Freelance writing involves creating written materials such as articles, blog posts, eBooks, and the likes.
You are a ghostwriter.
This job will give you the chance to choose what you write, and for whom you write.
Usually, depending on the platform, you can start working for as many clients as you want as long as you can handle the workload.
To be more specific, here are some types of freelance writing that you can work on:
- Content Writer – as a content writer, you write about blog posts and website content.
- SEO Writer – it mostly involves writing content for marketing purposes. You should have basic knowledge about the use of keywords in this type of freelance writing.
- General Writer – this particular type does not focus on one certain topic; as a general writer, you can write eBooks, technical instructions, or academic papers.
You don’t need to hold a certain degree to start freelance writing.
As long as you have a computer and a stable internet connection, you are good to go.
The average rate can range from $0.10 to $1 per word, depending on your expertise level.
If you are just starting out, I recommended that you start small to gather credentials for your portfolio.
Average Salary per month: $4,767
Virtual assistant job is one of the most in-demand jobs at present.
This job requires more work compared to freelance writing, and it usually involves office-related tasks.
Examples are like social media management, customer support, order processing, and content creation.
There is no limitation as to what tasks you will get. You are playing the role of an office working, but you are working remotely.
There are numerous sites where you can find clients, such as:
- Freelancing Sites – UpWork, Fiverr, and Freelancer are some of the most known freelancing platforms. You can sign up for an account for free and go on to offer your services.
- Social Media – You can also find clients by posting your service on your social media accounts. You can go as far as sending emails to potential clients.
- In your website – Lastly, you can opt to make your website, make sure it has all the essential pages, then make your service available from there. It can cost you a little because of service providers and domain fees but think of it as an investment for your freelancing business.
To start being a virtual assistant, you should have a high school diploma, at the very least.
As some clients have higher standards, being a bachelor’s degree holder can be a plus point in your portfolio.
Customer Service Representative
Average Salary per month: $2,951
Customer issues cannot be avoided in any field and any industry.
For this reason, many companies seek to hire customer service representatives for their teams. You can do it either a full-time or part-time basis.
It can be quite similar to being a virtual assistant except that this focuses mainly on solving issues.
That said, you should take note that the main task assigned to this position involves customer handling.
You will be responsible for responding to customers’ questions and concerns.
Here are other duties that a customer service representative should do:
- Answer inquiries about the product or service of the company
- Constantly update the market with useful information
- Help a customer with his/her concern
- Fulfill and process a completed order
- Process product returns and refunds
If you do not know how to respond to a query, it is also part of your duty to refer them to your colleagues, or to a higher authority like a team leader or a supervisor.
The requirements, on the other hand, include a high school diploma, for the minimum, and training.
Usually, training is done once you pass the job interview.
You should also possess good communication skills because the work environment is an endless interaction between you, the customers, and other departments.
Having rude customers is unavoidable in this field, so another important quality that you should take note of is patience.
Depending on the company, this can be done through calls, or chats, or even both.
Average Salary per month: $3,660
This year, in particular, is a rough time for education. Because of the pandemic, schools needed to establish a system of online classes.
This can make studying difficult for students to learn the module efficiently.
For this reason, being an online tutor is in-demand these days.
You can teach general subjects or focus on English as Second Language (ESL) teaching.
You can also choose the education level of the students that you will teach. It is best to depend on your expertise and experience.
Here are some sites where you can apply:
- Freelancing Sites – Similar to VA services, you can also post tutoring offers in UpWork, Fiverr, and Freelancer.
- VIPKid – Most customers and students here are Chinese. They offer an average rate of $15-$22 per hour.
- Tutor.com – Tutor.com, on the flip side, is a platform that connects students and tutors. They offer more or less than 40 subjects available for teaching.
- Teach ESL Korea – Lastly, we have Teach ESL Korea. From the name itself, most students here are Koreans who aim to learn the art of the English language.
You may or may not need to hold a certain degree to be an online tutor.
However, you do need to have vast knowledge about the subject that you will be teaching.
Some companies, or clients, themselves, require a background check, especially if you will be working with minors.
Your hourly rate will also vary depending on your credentials and experiences, so having an exceptional portfolio can be a big advantage.
Average Salary per month: $3,464
If you are interested in typing data, codes, etc., then a data entry job is the one for you.
Because this particular industry involves inputting, deleting, and modifying data, it is safe to say that the backbone of this job is your keyboard.
You will be responsible for handling and transferring information device to device.
In some cases, it will require you to type information from images to datasheets manually.
This happens when some clients want to gather all their data in one place. This can also be done through captchas.
Captchas work by showing an image, usually a combination of letters and numbers, which you will need to type in the space they provided.
This won’t pay you much and is better off as a part-time task.
High-paying data entry jobs are mostly found in freelancing sites.
The requirements to be a data entry clerk are:
- A gadget
- Stable internet connection
- Capability to speak and understand English
Clients in this field rarely require college degrees and solely rely on your experiences written in your résumé.
Most data are written in English, so it is note-worthy to improve your skills in the said language constantly.
Average Salary per month: $2,618
The task of a transcriptionist is similar to a data entry clerk. The difference, however, is found on the data resources.
Transcribing jobs mainly revolve around audio-to-text data transfer.
You will deal with audios and videos that need captions. You will, then, be required to type what you hear.
This is not a simple typing job if that is what you are thinking. There are several rules and guidelines that you need to know.
This is dependent on the transcribing platform, but usually, these rules are given when you are applying.
How, exactly, does the process of transcription application go?
- Find a platform; some of the most popular sites that offer transcribing jobs are Rev, GoTranscript, and TranscribeMe.
- You will be asked to enter some information about you and your background.
- You will undergo a written test. Not all platforms give written tests but this worth knowing.
- You will be required to take a transcription test. Before taking the test, they will teach you the basic things to remember in transcription. This is where the rules and guidelines come in.
Similar to other online jobs work from home, you need to possess good English skills to perform the task efficiently.
You need to have good grammar and sentence structure because you will be dealing with actual conversations between people.
Most clients do not require experience or specific education attainment.
Most sites, especially the ones listed above, rely only on your application to determine if you pass or not.
The fees can be charged either per audio minute or per hour; the minimum rate being $0.70 to $1 per minute.
Average Salary per month: $1,600
For the last work-at-home job on our list, we will be discussing the concept of affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is the process wherein you need to advertise a product from a specific company and convince your audience to buy them.
Once they buy the product, you will earn a percentage of the total price of the product or what we call a commission.
The average percentage per product ranges from 5% to 30%. Your affiliate program will be the one to decide your rate.
Below are steps to start being an affiliate marketer:
- Choose a niche. It is recommended that you choose a niche and a product that you have great knowledge about. This way, it will be easier for you to market the product.
- Apply for an affiliate program. Once you have decided about what kind of product you want to focus on, you can proceed to find brands that are searching for affiliates.
- Market the product. If you got accepted, you could start marketing the product through websites, blogs, social media sites, and other platforms that you may think of.
The good thing about affiliate marketing is that you don’t have to worry about the promotional resources that you will use.
Your program will be the one to provide you with images of the products, banners, and even catchphrases.
Summary: best work at home jobs in 2020
There are many legit work from home jobs online.
But if you are looking for a sustainable way to earn money, these seven are your best bet.
Do not get frustrated if you do not find clients. Be patient. You are not the only person looking for a job out there.
Make sure that you service clients to the best of your abilities. It is easier to earn money from repeat business than looking for new clients.