What is the Shopify Responsive Theme?
The Responsive theme is a premium theme from Out of the Sandbox made for the Shopify e-commerce platform. This is a flexible and robust theme to suit a wide range of products and industry types.
The Responsive theme is highly customizable allowing you to modify the layout, typography and featured promotions in your store. The theme is designed to tell your brand’s story with simplicity and sophistication.
This theme comes in four different styles, New York, London, Paris, and San Francisco. Each style allows you to display full-width slideshows and centered focus on the menu navigation.
The only differences are the content sections that follow under the slideshow banners.
Let’s take a closer look at each theme style.
New York Theme Style
Classic style and very simple color palette. Professional and elegant. Makes you feel welcomed and valued as a customer.
Drop down menu for easier navigation and organizing content.
Under the slideshow is a section for a featured product.
Full-Screen banner for high-quality lifestyle photos of your products or services. Helps create perceived value and credibility and trust.
Under you can display customer testimonials. Creates credibility and social proof very important with doing business online.
Featured collection, Quick shop
Full-screen banner with video embed option. Great way to tell your brand’s story and its mission and values. Creates engagement and increases interaction with the user.
Towards the bottom, you can display the latest blog posts and an email sign up form. Collecting emails is important to make more money in the backend of your e-commerce business.
The Footer is kept simple, with most elements centered aligned. You can link your social media profiles to the social icons.
Displaying payment icons to let your customers know what type of payments you accept.
The product page is easy to navigate and to display the most important information above the fold.
You want to write product descriptions outlining the benefits of your products instead of the features.
Customers purchase on an emotional connection, so using persuasive descriptions to solve their pain points will convert theme faster.
You can also display customer reviews and related products.
London Theme Style
Minimalist template, with subtle styling that puts your products front and center.
The London style lets you feature two full-width tiles on the homepage. When a customer clicks on one of these tiles, they will be directed to a product page. It’s like having an interactive lookbook.
Below the fold, you can feature products, full-screen banners, blog posts.
Towards the bottom of the page, you can display customer testimonials.
The footer has a unique layout. The sign-up form is centered to attract the customer’s attention
Size guide, customer reviews, social sharing icons. A well-balanced product page layout to increase your conversions.
Product pages are where you will make your sales. The theme uses negative white spacing to create contrast with the background and other elements on the page.
Without cluttering up the page, customers can focus on the product images and Add To Cart button.
Paris Theme Style
In the Paris template, you can display a promotional banner at the top of your website to draw your customer’s attention to any special promotions or discount codes.
Below the navigation, there is a full-width slideshow which you can use to upload and showcase high-quality photos of your products.
On the banner, you can have a title and button. When a user clicks on the button, they will be taken to another page depending on which page you decide to link to.
For example, on the demo store clicking on the button will take you a Contact Us page.
Below the fold are more tiles, featured products and a full-width banner. These full-width banners are great for showcasing your products or to tell more about your brand’s personality.
Towards the bottom of the template, you can display your recent blog posts and an email sign up form for your customers.
Building an email list will help with producing more sales in the backend of your store without spending a lot of money on marketing.
The footer design is a bit strange. There is a big open space between the sides of the footer. I would have placed the email signup form in the center to make use of that space. This will also help push up more of the content above the fold.
The product page layout is very clean and simple. The light color palette combined with the serif typeface helps with creating a sophisticated look and feel. Remember to use colors that are related to your brand for consistency.
The FAQ page is a very useful feature of the theme. It helps reduce the number of emails you will receive from customers asking the same question.
When a customer needs help, they can click on a relevant tab and it will expose the answer to their question.
San Francisco Theme Style
The San Francisco template creates a warm and inviting Shopify store. It uses a soft color scheme and is complemented with a round typeface, adding to the template’s simplicity and clean design.
Navigation elements in the header are positioned to help the user navigate around your store without any difficulty.
Under the header, you can display a full-width slideshow. Similar to the Paris template, you can a title and button on the sideshow banners.
Below the slideshow is a section for you to talk more about your business.
In the main content area below the fold, you can display tiles which can be linked to your blog posts or product collections.
As we scroll further down, you can feature multiple products on the homepage to create interest and engagement with your visitors.
There also a section for another full-width banner and a Featured In logo’s area.
If your business was featured in an article or promoted by a partnership business, you can display the logo of the company to increase your credibility with new customers.
You can also link your Instagram account and it will display your latest posts on the home page. This helps increase social proof and a way to gain new followers and fans.
Showing customer testimonials also plays a huge role in creating trust with new customers.
I think the footer works very well on this template. The colors and font used to create a clean user interface.
There is also an area for an email sign up for customers to sign up to your newsletters and promotions.
Responsive Theme Key Features
The Responsive theme has several features to help you create a professional Shopify store without any coding required. Setting up your own store is super easy.
- Promotional Banner: Display a banner at the top of the page to attract your customers’ attention. Let your customers know about promotions or special discount codes.
- Multi-level Menu: A drop-down menu makes navigating around your store simple and easy.
- Customer Testimonials: Trust is important with online transactions. Displaying testimonials will help increase social proof and your store’s credibility.
- Hero Video: Embed a video from YouTube or Vimeo to increase engagement and encourages interaction with your store.
- Quick Shop: Customers can view a product’s details without having to leave the current page.
- Product Filtering: Product filters help customers narrow down what they are looking for more quickly. They are more likely to make a purchase if you make their shopping experience fast and smooth.
- Product Zoom: Hovering over an image will display more details up close.
- Related Products: Displaying related products provides customers with more selections and keeps them shopping in your store for longer.
- Google Maps: Let your customers know where you are located by displaying your business location using Google Maps.
- Instagram Feed: Share your latest Instagram posts on your home page. This helps with building social proof and brand authority.
Why you should use this theme
Let’s take a look at the benefits of using the Responsive theme
- Mobile Friendly: As the name suggests, the theme is completely responsive to mobile devices. The layout will automatically adjust itself to fit nicely on smaller screens. I’ve seen many Shopify stores that look great on desktop but fail to function properly when it is viewed on mobile.
- On-Going Support: Not only are you purchasing a high-quality product, but also reliable customer support that comes with it. You will also have access to the Theme Help Center to fall back on if you get stuck.
- Zoom: Customers can enlarge images for a closer look at the finer details.
- Email Subscription: Collect your customers
- Blog: Increase trust and your store’s credibility with blog posts. You can also share these blog posts on your social media profiles for more reach and brand exposure.
- Social Media Icons: Social media and e-commerce go hand in hand. You can easily link your social media profiles to your store and use these channels to promote your products to your customers.
What are users saying about this theme?
The Responsive theme currently has 28 reviews, averaging a 5 out of 5-star rating. This shows that the theme performs well and is a great investment for your online business.
You know you’re getting a quality product when it is from Out of the Sandbox. Reading through each review so far, I couldn’t find anything comments about the theme.
Here are some of the reasons why people are happy about this theme.
- Service: The support team over at Out of the Sandbox are extremely helpful and responsive to their customer’s email. You don’t have to wait for days to fix any issues.
- User-friendly: The theme looks great and performs flawlessly across different devices. More people are shopping online using mobile and tablet devices so it’s important to have a website that can adapt to these screen sizes.
- Design: The design of the template is simple and navigating around the store is very intuitive. The template can be customized to suit your brand’s personality and business needs.
I have personally used the Responsive theme on one of my Shopify stores and it has been a satisfying experience.
I also noticed an increase in conversions switching over the Responsive theme from a free standard Shopify theme.
There have been times where I wanted a specific feature or edit done to my store. I reached out to their support team and they were glad to help me out without any extra fees!
Most beginners will opt for a free Shopify theme that is not optimized for conversions or mobile devices.
They will spend a lot of money on paid traffic but return no sales because their store is not optimized for conversions or user experience.
The Responsive theme comes with many useful features, aimed to increase your store’s conversion rate and provide a great user experience.
Many standard Shopify themes will require you to install extra marketing apps with recurring monthly fees. This can be challenging if you’re a beginner and not making consistent sales.
Overall, I will give the Responsive theme a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating.
This theme is one of the first premium themes I have personally purchased when I was looking for an upgrade.
I was using the free Brooklyn theme on one of my dropshipping stores but noticed it wasn’t working the way I wanted to.
So after weeks of debating, I took the leap and purchased Responsive. I must admit, it was one of the best investments I have ever made.
I now have a modern e-commerce store which didn’t cost me hundreds of dollars to build. Since conversions went up, the theme pretty much paid for itself.
I hope this review has helped you decide whether or not you should invest your money in a paid Shopify theme.
Let me know what Shopify themes you like best in the comments below!