SiteGround vs. WP Engine: what should you choose?
Both are powerful web hosting companies, but you only have to choose one.
Today, I will share with you my comparison review of both.
By the end of this tutorial, you should able to decide which is the better choice.
What is SiteGround?
SiteGround is a platform made specifically for hosting websites.
The platform is powered by Google Cloud to assure you of its quality.
It also offers flexible plans for sites of all sizes like the following:
- Web Hosting – for personal and business websites
- WordPress Hosting – for WordPress websites
- WooCommerce Hosting – for e-commerce sites run by WooCommerce
- Cloud Hosting – for sites that need dedicated service and support
- Reseller Hosting – for managing client sites
- Enterprise Hosting – custom hosting according to your site’s needs
The platform is endorsed by known brands like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
Currently, their team is composed of 500 experts led by Tenko Noikolov, the CEO.
SiteGround is also running more than 2 million domains worldwide as of the moment.
What is WP Engine?
WP Engine, similar to SiteGround, is also a hosting platform.
What makes this different, however, is that it also prioritizes site creation.
Its goal is to help users bring their ideas into actual customer experiences.
They have four pillars to which they built their platform on.
- Agility – WP Engine values time. They strive to provide immediate results to establish more site value.
- Performance – They also use cloud-based solutions to constantly optimize site availability, speed, scalability, and security.
- Intelligence – The platform also provides sufficient resources and information to help you in making decisions online.
- Integration – Finally, WP Engine also gives way for other features and functionalities by allowing integrations with numerous marketing platforms.
At the time, 120,000 site masters from 140 countries use WP Engine to power their platforms.
Their services are also headed by their CEO, Heather Brunner.
Features of SiteGround
SiteGround offers quite a lot of features to provide a quality hosting service.
First, let us discuss features according to their functions.
The platform gives importance to the speed of their site’s response time.
Specifically, their server runs at an average of 431ms.
Below are some of the technologies that they are incorporating to maintain this:
- SSD Persistent Storage – faster than regular drives
- NGINX Web Server – optimizes speed for static sites
- SuperCacher – improves the quality of the caching system; runs with NGINX server
- Ultrafast PHP – 30% faster than Standard PHP
Aside from being powered through Cloud, SiteGround also ensures that all energy to be consumed will be renewed through their partner, Google.
Working online means you have to deal with multiple security issues.
Fortunately, another thing that SiteGround prioritizes is the safety of both your site and your audiences’ information.
Here are the features that will help you with this:
- Real-Time Server Checks – site status is monitored every 0.5 seconds which does not stop at detecting issues but fixes them automatically in the process
- AI Anti-Bot – blocks malicious bots and malware from infesting your site
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) – regularly updated smart firewall which protects your site against security breaches
They also ensure a 24/7 detecting system, so you don’t have to worry about downtimes.
3. Customer Support
The platform is also known for having dedicated customer support.
You can either resolve your issue through provided resources or by seeking live help.
For existing resources, here are the ways that you could look into:
- Help PageAI Chat Bot
- Automated Solutions
On the other hand, here are live help solutions:
- Live Chat
- Phone Support
- Helpdesk Ticket
The average response time of SiteGround for tickets comes up to eight minutes.
This is a competitive rate as some platforms take as long as an hour to a couple of days.
4. Website Builder
SiteGround does not focus solely on hosting solutions.
It also provides a built-in editor to allow the user to create their website pages.
This is powered by Weebly and includes a lot of designs and layouts to help you achieve your desired look.
In addition, you also won’t need to undergo long hours of coding and programming because it has a simple drag-and-drop interface.
5. Website Migrator
You will also be given permission to do the process of site migration.
You will be given access to install their WordPress Migrator Plugin fully free of cost.
However, if you don’t want to do the process by yourself, you have a choice to pay for SiteGround’s services.
Their team will be responsible for transferring every bit of data for a low price of $30 per site.
This is a good option if you are not experienced with site migration.
SiteGround has already made quite a name for itself because of its features and the fact that they have been around since 2004.
Features of WP Engine
Similar to SiteGround, WP Engine also offers a lot of useful hosting features.
These are separated according to their platform’s pillars.
First, let us discuss some of the most significant functions under Agility.
1. Dev & Design Tools
With WP Engine, you will be able to further enhance your customers’ experience by taking advantage of the developer tools provided by the platform. Below are a few:
- Genesis Framework – a suite of built-in modern editing tools that ensures faster output delivery
- Genesis Pro – all-in Genesis platform; includes more features for Genesis Blocks, Genesis Custom Blocks, Genesis Framework, StudioPress Themes; requires an additional $30 monthly fee
- Premium Themes – more than 35 customizable WordPress themes are provided to save more time
- Atomic Blocks – block editor with pre-built templates
- GeoTarget – will personalize your audience’s content according to their location
Note that you will still be able to access the stated features even if you don’t purchase Genesis Pro.
That is recommended to sites which need more resources than provided.
2. Smart Plugin Manager
This feature will automatically check updates for your existing plugins.
Updates will be installed every night so your site won’t stray away from its performance and tasks during the day.
It will also secure your site better.
3. Security Solutions
WP Engine also provides solutions that will help you with keeping your website safe.
See the following:
- Host Intrusion Prevention System – will be responsible for detecting and blocking unauthorized attacks on your site
- Automatic Backups – daily backups are made by the system to lessen the risk of data loss and other possible site issues
- SSL Certificates – all plans include a free SSL Certificate to easily establish a sense of security in your site
- Plugin Vulnerability Mitigation – this feature will detect a plugin’s compatibility and safety; will send an alert if a plugin to be installed is risky
The platform takes security seriously for the reason that providing the best digital experience is their priority.
4. Speed Solutions
On the other hand, here are the features that help optimize their server’s speed:
- Active-Active Setting – this redundant setting will decrease the chances of your site failing during operations
- Automatic System Updates – constant updates to completely eliminate flaws and bugs are also automatically installed
Here are for Intelligence:
- Key Performance Indicators – data regarding SEO performance, visitors’ time on site, retention and bounce rate, leads, and conversions can be accessed through a designated dashboard
- Automated Reporting – performance reports will automatically be provided to make site monitoring more efficient.
Lastly, here are some of the brands that are integrated with SiteGround’s system:
- Google Cloud
- Google Analytics
- WordPress Plugins (Amazon Polly, Atomic Blocks, etc.)
Although founded in 2010, it already became one of the leading digital experience applications that majors in WordPress.
Pros and Cons of Siteground
Now, let us talk about the things that you need to consider before purchasing SiteGround.
- Uptime Guarantee: 99.99%
- One month of free hosting for every percentage that the uptime guarantee loses
- Response Time: 431ms (average)
- Multiple data centres: Iowa, Virginia, Madrid, London (2), Eemshaven, Frankfurt, Sofia, Singapore, Sydney (IP addresses provided)
- Option to choose server location
- Equipped with SpamAssassin, an anti-spam software
- Can be integrated with HackAlert
- Free SSL Certificate
- Free daily backups
- Unmatched speed deliverability
- Dedicated customer support
Now, for the cons:
- High renewal rates
- Limited data storage (10GB-40GB)
- Restricted monthly resources
- Possibility of having a stagnant site if used resources go past the limit
As you can see, the pros of using SiteGround greatly outweigh its cons.
It is, overall, one of the worthy platforms to consider.
Pros and Cons of WP Engine
On the other hand, let us discuss what WP Engine’s pros and cons are.
See the following for the pros:
- Works well with WordPress
- Provides numerous features
- Focuses on multiple factors
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Has a lot of great integrations like Genesis apps
- Staff are experienced in WordPress
- Free SSL Certificate
- Free premium themes
- Constantly updates system
- Automatic backups
The cons, however, are:
- More expensive compared to other hosting platforms
- Not ideal for non-WordPress sites
- Not available for email hosting
- Additional payments for exceeding resources
- Isn’t recommended to small-time sites
Most of WP Engine’s downsides refer to its cost.
It is understandable, though, as it runs on a more modern technology compared to others and is delivering a higher quality of work.
This is worth considering if you are prioritizing quality without minding the budget.
SiteGround offers different plans for different hosting solutions.
In this article, however, we are going to focus on the web hosting solution, which has three packages.
- $14.99/month or $6.99/month if annual plan
- 1 Website
- 10GB Web Space
- 10,000 Monthly Visits
- $24.99/month or $9.99/month if annual plan
- Unlimited Websites
- 20GB Web Space
- 25,000 Monthly Visits
- $39.99/month or $14.99/month if annual plan
- Unlimited Websites
- 40GB Web Space
- 100,000 Monthly Visits
GrowBig is the platform’s best-seller plan.
This is probably because it will provide the best value for your money.
The GoGeek plan is recommended for larger sites that require higher amounts of monthly visits.
WP Engine Pricing
WP Engine, on the flip side, offers four plans in general:
- $30/month or $25/month if annual plan
- 1 Website
- 10GB Storage
- 25,000 Monthly Visits
- 50GB Monthly Bandwidth
- $115/month or $95/month if annual plan
- 10 Websites
- 20GB Storage
- 100,000 Monthly Visits
- 200GB Monthly Bandwidth
- $290/month or $241/month if annual plan
- 30 Websites
- 50GB Storage
- 400,000 Monthly Visits
- 500GB Monthly Bandwidth
This plan is for large businesses and mission-driven sites.
Here, you can create a plan that will cater specifically to your needs to which a custom price will also be given.
Like what is previously stated, the prices of the platform’s packages are on the pricier side so having a budget is a critical factor here.
Summary: SiteGround vs. WP Engine
My recommendation is that you use SiteGround.
It is a company that offers a wide array of hosting services.
WP Engine is limited to the WordPress framework, which can be limiting.
What I really love about SiteGround is that the services are affordable, and yet you can build an unlimited number of websites—you can use it to build a passive income.
WP Engine is great for those who only like to use WordPress.
However, in the end, you may need to build more than one website, so SiteGround is the premier choice.